Tehel Cup Predictions - Championship

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Tehel Cup Predictions - Championship

Post  Raider9726 on Wed Aug 06, 2014 3:00 pm

I don't think anyone had this final in their brackets submitted prior to this tournament getting under way, which is good for the league I suppose. Here's your final, which will kick off at 6:30pm tomorrow night at Nichols field:

Yemen Elite vs. Queenston FC

Records:
Yemen Elite this season has an overall record of 8-5-2 (4-5-2 regular season, Premier, 4-0-0 Tehel Cup). Elite is 1-1-1 on turf surface.

Queenston FC has an overall record of 11-1-4 (6-1-4 regular season, Championship, 4-0-0 Tehel Cup, 1-0 playoff record). Queenston is 1-0-0 on turf surface.

Fixture history: Yemen Elite is 2-1-0 all time against Queenston, having won a regular season game up at the Fort last year by the score of 2-1 as well as the semi-final playoff battle at Lehigh by the score of 1-0. These teams first met in 2011, Queenston emerging victorious at the Cage 6-4.

How they got here:

Yemen Elite defeated Alden 6-0 in opening round play at home, followed by an impressive 1-0 win at home against Amherst Sharpshooters. Elite continued their defensive dominance with a 2-0 neutral site victory over Lakeshore Select at WSSC, and then finally a road victory at WSSC over BUSS which took PK's to decide, winners 2-1. That's 11 goals for, and 1 against.

Queenston FC defeated Sporting Roos 3-0 in their opener, and followed that up with another home victory against FCB Revs 4-0. Queenston then travelled to Lehigh and defeated a tough FC Yemen side 2-1 in PK's, and then defeated Celtic in the semi-finals at "neutral" site Lew-Port HS (not sure why they chose to play this game in our backyard), by the score of 2-1, again decided in PK's. That's 11 goals for, 2 against.

How they stack up:

In really broad terms, Yemen Elite will rely on skill and athleticism. They have athletes sprinkled all over the pitch. If they have a full roster coming tomorrow, they'll be extremely tough to beat. Meanwhile, Queenston FC will rely on a more physical style of play and overall team chemistry. Queenston thrives when a close to full roster is present, so they'll need that in order to give themselves a better chance. Both of these teams are known for above average defensive sides, so individual offensive plays or sharp passing/ultimately shooting in the final third should be the difference maker in tomorrow night's affair.

Prediction:

I hate to go all Kirk Herbstreit here and not actually give you a prediction but rather 'keys to success', but I will, since I'm actually involved in this final, much like Herbstreit actually calls those Saturday night college football games from the booth. What I can say is that I'd venture to guess that Yemen Elite is the favorite tomorrow night, and I wouldn't necessarily argue that. They have beaten us the last two times we've faced them, but both games have been exceptionally close. Both teams' rosters seem to have gotten better this year, so I wouldn't expect too much different. Queenston comes in reeeeally wanting this Cup, as it'd be its first piece of silverware ever, and Elite was the one that got in the way last year, so a little bit of payback is on the mind. Should be a good game! I think Faress wins the Tehel Cup bracket challenge if Elite wins tomorrow night too, so I don't understand why he just doesn't want to share the wealth here a bit...

For actual predictions, please post a reply below.
Raider9726
EPL
EPL

Number of posts : 241
Team : Queenston
Full Name : Queenston Statistician
Registration date : 2012-07-23

View user profile

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top