BDSL Championship Predictions

View previous topic View next topic Go down

BDSL Championship Predictions

Post  Raider9726 on Thu Apr 21, 2016 10:00 am

The Championship Division has a completely different look to it nowadays.  Wolfpack and Buffalo Celtic are what I'd consider the 'mainstays' at this point, and they only arrived back in 2013.  FC Yemen, Sporting Roos/Boomslang/Rogue, BSC International, Rush, Queenston, Roos, Yemen Elite, Amherst Sharpshooters, BUSS and Clarence, all now reside a division up or have since folded, so it's time for another team to make the leap and try to stay there.  I don't see too many contenders here.  There are plenty of decent teams though, just nothing that would be considered "special" outside of the Top 1-2 teams, in my opinion.  But why wait any longer, let's dive right in:

12. Buffalo Celtic - Oh no.  What happened here?  Matt Jones has left the club to pursue a dream with playing as a part of Amherst Alliance, while other decent members of this side have left.  There are still a few pieces that work here, but overall, this team could struggle.  Last year I predicted them to finish pretty low in the table, but they challenged for a playoff spot somehow.  I still sort of think it was fool's gold.  A notable omission of course is Chris Pepper, for obvious reasons, so I want to make good with the rest of this paragraph and say that the extended BDSL community is pulling for you Chris, whether you know us all or not.

11. Lykan FC - Lykan has made a habit out of surviving relegation when they really shouldn't have, so maybe this is the year they drop into D1 territory.  I'm having a hard time placing teams 9 through 11, but based on history, I must go with Lykan.  They continue to struggle in Sahlen's 11v11 play, which is usually an indicator of what to expect outdoors, but I did notice they bolstered their lineup a bit this year compared to last.  Gabe Cesar and a couple other Chelsea adds seemed to have spark a little life into the roster on paper, but they've almost lost just as much as they've gained.  Long time goalie Jason Kuczmanski bolted to Bantu, which is puzzling, can't wait for the story on that one, but they brought in Robert McGinnis, who I thought wasn't that bad for Chelsea last year.  Too bad they had 0 defense on that club, as the goals against looked poor, but it really wasn't all of McGinnis' fault.

10. Polonia - Polonia is very much like Rangers in my opinion: low scoring, won't punish you on the offensive side, but take pride in their defense. the Andrews/Marcinkiewicz/Del Valle backline connection has done enough to keep dangerous players and plays in front of them. One glaring omission to the roster as of today's release date is Colin Allen, whom I find to be somewhat lethal at times. They'll need some big seasons out of their attacking mids and forwards, otherwise teams like Rangers and Lykan could steal 3 points away and have Polonia firmly entrenched in the relegation zone.

9. Lakeside FC - Lakeside is a name we've heard forever, but their roster is nothing like it once was. For starters, this roster has a really weird resemblance to the FC Buffalo Reserves one from a few years back, you know, the experiment that went totally, totally wrong. However, they seem to have a mix of the FCB flair with a few Lakeside mainstays. Will Bolton was a nice sneaky add. Christie in net isn't too shabby also. But aside from Stephen Acheampong, who simply knows how to find the net when called upon, where are the goals consistently coming from? If you've picked up on a theme or trend here, this Championship division is loaded with half way decent rosters but with limited scoring options. It's why I feel the top of the First Division can hang with and defeat many of the teams I've presented to you all so far.

8. Rangers - Rangers will probably prove me wrong again, but each year I continue to think they'll drop from the 5th to 7th place table placement, and each year they don't. This year however, they've lost arguably their most skillful player in Ryan Schamber, and lost left back Nick Fetterman for the season to a gruesome injury indoors a few months ago. Still, there are some capable, technically sound players on this team, and they're backed by one of the more under the radar goal keepers in Robert Weigand. I think this team will reeeeeeally struggle to score, but they will make life difficult for opponents to score on them. I foresee many 0-0 or 1-0 affairs this year with Rangers; just enough however to fight off relegation.

7. OP Alliance - Promoted from D1, I totally whiffed on these guys last year. BUT I'M MAN ENOUGH TO ADMIT IT! Ok, settle down there Brian, not that big of a deal. Anywho, this is where the separation begins for me in this division. OP Alliance has some nice pieces all over the field. Alamari, Kohl, the Saeli brothers/cousins who knows, and of course their goals guy, Ryan McMaster. These guys hung around last year in Tehel Cup action against Yemen Elite, although maybe the score indicated that the game was closer than it actually was, but I think these guys are trending in the right direction. Make a couple more moves to bolster the depth here and they can contend for this division next year. Not yet, but soon.

6. Niagara FC - This is a really young side, but a vastly improved side, one that technically didn't earn their promotion last year (but let's be real, when do they ever earn it?) but I've jumped them over OP Alliance because I simply cannot deny the talent on this roster.  The question will always remain, can they get more than 11-13 to show up for these games...ever?  The addition of Garrett Robinson up top should enable Niagara to score some more goals this season.  Paul Malinowski as a winger provides a legit threat, and Seth Snyder could work wonders out of the back; a backline that I already thought was pretty good.  The defending Wood Cup champs (yes, they are!) have an entirely new look again, but this one has promise.  If they get hot down the stretch, I wouldn't find it that hard to believe that they could find their way into a Championship division final.

5. Wolfpack - Wolfpack looks like they're getting a bit younger, and a bit more competitive.  My once forum rival, but now friend (unfortunately, this sort of stuff happens) in Mike Schieber won't like what I'm about to say, but, UPSET ALERT here in round 1 of the Tehel Cup!  Wolfpack have added Scott Berardi, Eric Russell and a couple other guys from around the BDSL, but more importantly, I think they've trimmed away the pieces that weren't necessary.  They still have their trademark physical presence, but I think they've also got more of a technical soccer style to them now.  It took a few years, but their moves have been smart over the past two seasons.

4. Celtic Hoops The new look hoops are better than last year's Hoops. Perhaps not by overall skill level, but smarts for sure. Here you have a mix of former premier players, some still very capable of that level, mixing in with nice pieces that have been part of the Hoops side since it's formation back in 2013. I think the goals will be spread out pretty nicely on this team, and their defense won't be put under such tremendous pressure like it was last year, when they allowed close to 40 on the season. These guys are a prideful bunch, many of which chose to move down a peg in the BDSL pecking order, but I think they did so in order to also prove that they can compete at a higher level here. Unless they simply don't show up or care like they did down the stretch in premier last year. That would spell disaster.

3. Buffalo Bantu - Very sneakily, Bantu has formed a quality side again.  They poached Kuczmanski from Lykan to man the net, but that's probably the smallest of their big offseason moves.  They're fortunate to retain Abdi Sabtow and Mo Hussein, who will also have FC Buffalo duties (I could be wrong about Hussein), but I don't think he'll miss many games regardless.  Omar Sundi is still there, they've snagged Benti Jodi from Buffalo Gunners/BUSS and they've returned Zein Abdulaziz from Yemen.  That lasst one is the big ticket right there.  Zein will provide many goals for Bantu in the Summer of '16.  I'll chalk up last season as a disaster, and this year they'll return to form.

2. Southtowns Family Practice FC <--c'mon guys I typed, and backspaced and typed again, then sounded it out, and then typed like I hadn't taken a keyboard class back in my Senior year of HS (oddly enough it was that class where I was when I heard the Towers had been struck; they say you'll never forget where you were, and obviously that's true and almost cliche to say, but since I tend to remember a lot of things, some of which I don't wish to remember, I can also say I'm pretty confident that I was in the middle of typing 'The Quick Brown Fox Jumps Over The Lazy Dog' over and over again at that point in time).  Anyway, LAKESHORE FC will have a bounce back season much like Bantu.  They lost Eastman, but in return gained a nice youngster in Will Smith off of the Hamburg Monarchs.  The best player in this entire division is Cody Rouse, and he's still here so they're in good hands.  I wonder what kind of commitment we'll see out of Mike Taylor this season; when there, he gets goals.  Booker is still here, Pat Doherty signed on from the Sharpshooters, so you're looking at a really good defense here.  These guys have a realistic shot at promotion.  I just hope for their sake that they keep their head in the game long enough to care...last season it spiraled downward because their promotion/playoff dreams died early on.  That shouldn't be the case this season, especially considering six teams qualify for post season play.

1. East Aurora FC - EAFC should make it a perfect 3 for 3 in promotions since their re-birth to the league back in 2014. There are just so many playmakers here.  An already potent offense just landed Cole Beale.  The best midfield in the league, and maybe one of the top 6-8 in the whole BDSL just added Vinny Chimento and Myles Taylor, all of which just came off past seasons with Roos FC.  I suppose their weakest area is goal tending, but when will you get enough quality looks?  EAFC could compete admirably in Premier right now; maybe an 8th-10th place finish, so I think it's safe to say they're the class of the Championship Division.

6 Niagara FC defeats 3 Buffalo Bantu
5 Wolfpack defeats 4 Celtic Hoops

1 East Aurora FC defeats 6 Niagara FC
2 Southtowns Family Practice FC defeat 5 Wolfpack

1 East Aurora FC defeats 2 Southtowns Family Practice FC 3-1

Last edited by Raider9726 on Wed Jun 15, 2016 9:32 am; edited 3 times in total
Raider9726
EPL
EPL

Number of posts : 241
Team : Queenston
Full Name : Queenston Statistician
Registration date : 2012-07-23

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: BDSL Championship Predictions

Post  Matt Marcin...z on Fri Apr 22, 2016 5:52 am

Just sickeningly, embarrassingly ignorant. And you get paid for this? What a hack this guy is--I know username 'OPAlliance' agrees with me. How much of that BDSL budget surplus goes to you--refresh my memory, is it 90% or all of it? Figures the bloated five-person board would sign off on this--this is why the Tehel Cup was more popular a century ago than it is now. What we need is board consolidation and division's rights about whether they want to be included in the Tehel Cup...10th amendment to the BDSL charter is the only one I honor, personally.

Polonia finishes no lower than 8th or you have my permission to relegate us to the Buffalo Social Club co-ed league--not even the one held at Nichols, but the second stratum, where you're forced to negotiate with Mateo 'Archimedes' Escobar's Urban Soccer Initiative wannabe offshoot over the rights to the parking lot at Front Park .

Ben Tsujimoto will Make The BDSL Forum Great Again in 2017. Alas, it appears Bripodshuffle is poised to rademake his lame-duck year as overfunded prognosticator laureate into an agonizing one for the BDSL readership. Schieber, do us all a favor and build that firewall.

Matt Marcin...z
EPL
EPL

Number of posts : 286
Team : Polonia
Full Name : Matt Marcinkiewicz
Registration date : 2013-06-28

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Matt Marcin...z on Fri Apr 22, 2016 6:33 am

given that the median age of this league this year appears to be 12 years and nine months, I think the odds of the prior post being misinterpreted by at least one reader is like 1:100. Also there are the more literal vets too

Matt Marcin...z
EPL
EPL

Number of posts : 286
Team : Polonia
Full Name : Matt Marcinkiewicz
Registration date : 2013-06-28

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Raider9726 on Fri Apr 22, 2016 9:38 am

Matt, this is some of your best work yet. I needed a good laugh this morning. It was one of those mornings where the heated tile in my bathroom wouldn't function properly, so I had to step on my tiger skin mat instead (eye roll). Then the automatic soap dispenser got jammed and my wife had the audacity to say 'use one of those Dove bars from a few weeks ago before you got your big bonus from BDSL', and I was like "excuse me?!, that's beneath me now, that life is in the rear view mirror honey"

Anyway, my butler should be back soon with my coffee. It better be three pumps and not two this time. I don't want to just give this guy minimum wage if he's not going to work for it.

Raider9726
EPL
EPL

Number of posts : 241
Team : Queenston
Full Name : Queenston Statistician
Registration date : 2012-07-23

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content