Hamburg 2:2 Amherst Alliance

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Hamburg 2:2 Amherst Alliance

Post  Buck on Mon May 02, 2016 11:29 am

Hamburg had 14 players and Amherst had what looked like to be 20 or more. The numbers were a big factor in the game - Hamburg fatigued in the 2nd half and blew a 2-0 lead to lose out on 2 points. Most of the goals scored were sloppy or off of weird bounces. Phil Eckhardt got Hamburg on the board first making a run from the back line - he was tackled but the ball somehow ended up right back at his feet and he buried a left-footed breakaway. Amherst probably deserved one of their own in the 1st half but either couldn't finish or got nixed by whistle-happy refs.

Hamburg went up 2-0 in the 2nd half after Arthur Sinnot sent in Aaron Hayes, shaking off a tackler and beating the keeper low far side. Almost made it 3-0 on a corner kick that Phil Eckhardt just missed near-side. From this point on we seemed to wilt and rust/fatigue set in. Amherst got their first on a throw in which we attempted to clear, but much like Phil's goal in the first half the ball went straight to Evan Lang who buried it. I'm still not sure what happened on the second goal, Jake Vernon looked like he had it but the ball took a weird bounce as he went down to clear it and Matt Jones cleaned up the mess. We held it together long enough to get a point out of it after that, countering on a couple of occassions but not really generating anything else into the swirling wind/rain.

Shout out to Phil Eckhardt who played what was probably the best game of his career. Alex DiCarlo was very impressive for Amherst. We have a lot of things to improve on but this is probably the penalty we pay for not playing any preseason matches over the spring. Amherst established themselves as a quality D1 side yesterday. Best of luck to them going forward.

Buck
College
College

Number of posts : 86
Team : Hamburg Monarchs
Full Name : Timothy Buckley
Registration date : 2009-06-15

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Hamburg 2:2 Amherst Alliance

Post  Crauril on Mon May 02, 2016 4:26 pm

Pretty fair assessment of the game.

Your first goal was the direct result of a weird deflection off our defender that somehow found it's way onto Eckhardt's feet on a breakaway. Super lame. Your second goal was very similar I remember, as we tackled Arthur and somehow he found the ball afterward, passed it to Hayes who we tackled again and then he found the ball back on his foot on a breakaway. Weird deflections were a common theme with the rain and the weather the way it is.

The goal that got called back was absolutely unfortunate... Here's what happened according to my players: We had a set piece of some sort, with 3 guys unmarked trailing back post. Ball comes down a foot away from Hamburg's GK, he goes down for it and whiffs, and in the ensuing moments one of our guys slots it in. What the ref called was your GK having possession and our guy kicking it out of his hands after he had possession. To my knowledge, your keeper never even touched the ball so it would be impossible for him to have any kind of possession. Like I said, the whole thing was just unfortunate, but I'll never blame a game on officiating. Bottom line we probably should have scored on the 2 other occasions we hit the post and/or skied it over the bar. But such is the game of soccer.

Good looks to you guys. Thought both teams played well. Hayes will be a headache for everyone this year. Good luck moving forward.
Crauril
JV
JV

Number of posts : 4
Team : Lykan FC
Full Name : Chris Aurilio
Registration date : 2014-05-18

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Buck on Tue May 03, 2016 9:47 am

FWIW I was told that the whistle was due to an Amherst player pushing a Hamburg defender into the keeper.

Buck
College
College

Number of posts : 86
Team : Hamburg Monarchs
Full Name : Timothy Buckley
Registration date : 2009-06-15

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content