Amherst Sharpshooters 3, Queenston FC 0

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Amherst Sharpshooters 3, Queenston FC 0

Post  Raider9726 on Mon May 02, 2016 2:15 pm

Road game for the Parliament at Nichols HS where we got to play a familiar foe from indoor all winter.  Amherst wore their new red kits while Queenston could be seen miles away in their trademark neon.  Amherst dressed 18 but had 20 present (B. Lawler, R. Grampp unable to play), while Queenston brought only 9*.

The first 35 minutes I'd say were really even, perhaps a slight edge in goal scoring opportunities AND possession in Queenston's favor, if you could believe that.  But I'd say most of our 'chances' were half chances, but I'd certainly say we were spending a good amount of time in their final third, but ultimately Amherst was organized and disciplined enough to clear dangerous balls away.  And if not, Durst was on his "A" game this afternoon, which is status quo anyway.

The remaining 10 minutes and stoppage in half #1 was a disaster.  The Sharpshooters worked it down the pitch and earned a corner.  Prior to the corner being struck, by Eric Steinmetz I believe, Amherst subs on 2-3 guys, one of which was Brandon Loncar.  He proceeds to jog at a mild tempo to the far post, never breaking 6mph, and Steinmetz's corner is delivered, it's whiffed on by our near post man, makes its way through a few people, right to Loncar who was still moving 6mph towards the net and he buries the resulting sitter.  Well timed substitution.

Right before half, the Sharpshooters clear away one of our rushes forward, and Loncar lobs up a ball to a full sprinting Ricky Martinez, who still has that extra gear, and he finds the ball on his feet and whips the ball 20 times the speed of Loncar's jog pace mentioned before into the top left corner of the goal, from probably just outside the 18'.  An absolute wonder strike that left Netter frozen.  Why he plays defense now is befuddling.  What's interesting about this is that we, Queenston, were knocking the ball around a bit prior to this, and we get beat by a Route 1 play, almost a reversal of team styles.  Our own effing style punished us...

Spirits were still high during halftime because we were playing a decent enough game...I figured a 1-0 deficit was probably more indicative of the play so far, so we came out with the same game plan.  The first half of the second half was kind of boring, probably slightly dictated by Amherst, as I remember their team had a few dangerous attacking moments by some sort of combo of Regan and Brodfuehrer and even a little mix of Hofschneider.  The next 20 I'd say we gave it a final hard push at finding a break through goal, but again the chances ultimately were limited.  I think we had Amherst a little nervy in the back at times since balls were being cleared out of bounds more often than I remember from this side, but it could have been wind related too, who knows.  Anyway, it led to some dangerous chances, one where J. Farrell just missed wide and then of course the save of the game by Durst on T. Brady, where somehow he was able to smother a breakaway that I believe Brady thought he had 5-hole, but it was trapped by Durst in between his legs so we didn't even have the chance at a spilled ball to either side (either side was occupied by other neon shirts too, so in retrospect this was an AMAZING save).

The final 5 minutes were wide open, but not to our benefit, as they kicked the ball forward and had many 3v2 or 4v2 chances to find a third goal since we were still trying to land our first, and one did ultimately come with maybe 1 minute left off of a Loncar pass to R. Steele.  Whistle blows, teams shake hands, Queenston returns to the bench to continue talking about former on field barfing incidents.

The Sharpshooters deserved the 3 points this afternoon, but I don't think we made it easy on them.  Personally, I think we drew a lot of positives out of a less than desired result, so we're going to build on this in Week 2.  Man of the match for Queenston was newcomer Greg Hoffman, followed closely behind by Pat Eadie.  In my opinion, their Man of the match was Martinez, who did enough defensively and also finished with a very pretty goal.  Loncar was involved in all 3 goals but his involvement somehow seemed to come in a more mysterious way if that makes any sense.  G. Harris was strong in the back for them alongside his goalkeeper, which was previously mentioned.

*We had 19 guys, not 9.
Raider9726
EPL
EPL

Number of posts : 241
Team : Queenston
Full Name : Queenston Statistician
Registration date : 2012-07-23

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Amherst Sharpshooters 3, Queenston FC 0

Post  trlawler on Tue May 03, 2016 12:48 pm

I thought we were pretty sloppy for most of the first half. The game was pretty even. Ricky came in up front and created one goal and scored another. After that we settled in a bit. Still not our best in the second half, but we controlled possession and pretty comfortably saw out the game. Our finishing was pretty brutal near the end as the game opened up. Regan added one late. Certainly not our finest performance. We looked like a team with a lot of guys who were learning each others names (which we were). I'm sure the chemistry will get there. A scrimmage on Friday against a quality unnamed opponent (at 7 pm at Nazareth College under the lights) should help to get things rolling before Celtic United on Sunday. Hopefully they have more than 9 guys. Good game to Queenston as always. I think they'll crack the top 6 this year.
trlawler
MLS
MLS

Number of posts : 134
Team : Amherst Sharpshooters
Full Name : Trevor Lawler
Registration date : 2010-05-06

View user profile

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum