Rangers 5 Celtic Hoop 2

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Rangers 5 Celtic Hoop 2

Post  Pszafranek on Mon May 09, 2016 8:44 am

We showed up to Ellicott Creek with probably our best showing we'll have all season, I believe everyone was dressed except for Josh Weigand who had to unfortunately sit for the last time due to a red card from last years match up with the Hoops on this same field. Unfortunate for the Hoops that we had I believe 18 men to their 8 to start the match.

The opening whistle sounded and we started possessing, passing it around between our midfielders and defenders trying to find openings as Celtic just packed the box for the first 10 minutes or so.  I believe they had another player arrive around the 10-15 minute mark.  Around this same time they had a goal kick which landed about 2/3rds the length of a short field and with the sun in our defenders eyes he miss played the ball out of the air and bounced right to the feet of a sprinting Hoops player who found the back of the net with a nice left footed finish.  Not quite the way we planned to start a game against 8 men, but in a weird way being scored on helped us.  About 5-10 minutes after this, Dom found the back of the net with a shot from around 20 out that took a deflection off the back of one of the Hoops defenders.  After this we maintained possession and had a few more chances, then we were awarded a PK when Andy Nati was taken down in the box, definitely a foul but with them being down with I believe only 9 men still (they had a tenth show up at some point) it was definitely a questionable call for the ref to point at the spot, but being on the receiving end you'll always take what is given to you.  I took the PK which was saved bya fully stretched out keeper who guessed the correct way and had gotten a strong hand on it to punch it wide.  I'd love to have that back but it happens and nice save.  I believe we ended up scoring again before the half from Dom to close out the half going in only up 2-1.

Starting the second half it was much of the same thing we possessed and put a ton of pressure on to a tiring 10 man Celtic Hoops team.  We scored 3 more goals this half which probably could have been more but our finishing on a couple break aways/posts and nice saves from their keeper all played a roll into our 5 goal game.  I want to say with about 10 minutes left the Hoops scored their second goal, which wasn't really wanted by our team, but I don't think most of our mindsets were still in the game 100% so that stuff tends to happen.  All in all they were a good group of guys and I wish they would have been able to field a full team with a couple of subs because it's not the best feeling beating a team short handed when you can tell they're capable of better play.  But for this to happen in the beginning of the season with our team having a bunch of new faces, it was nice to be able to get out their and knock the ball around and get a feel for everything.  I believe we have a pretty promising roster this year when our team shows I feel like we can hang with the best in our division.  I guess we'll find out next week as we head to D'Youville to play Bantu who's projected to be a top notch team, followed by EA the following week. But best of luck to Hoops the rest of the way. I think with a full roster they will be trouble for most teams.

Pszafranek
JV
JV

Number of posts : 8
Team : Rangers FC
Full Name : Phil
Registration date : 2016-05-06

View user profile

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top