Buffalo & District Soccer League
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

FC QUAKE 1 Tonawanda United 0 (ET)

Go down

FC QUAKE 1 Tonawanda United 0 (ET) Empty FC QUAKE 1 Tonawanda United 0 (ET)

Post  spfallon9432 Fri Jun 17, 2016 12:48 pm

We took a stroll up to Ives "Pond" (which looked as though it hadn't seen water for about as long as the Sahara Desert has) for a tilt with our old friends Ton U for chance to play in the Tehel Cup sweet 16. For whatever reason every game we play against these guys is some pretty ugly, knockdown drag-out grinding soccer, and this one took the cake by a mile. We knew coming in we were going to have a short bench (14ish guys) and it got worse by game time with Solomon and Lamos both ending up out, leaving us with "12" guys, two of which were attending injured, me being one of them. It got worse in pregame warmups when Iwankow had something freaky happen to him compromising his ability to play the game the way I have come to know from Jay. At this point I knew I may have to get out there so I used about 3 rolls of Ace to build myself something I have no idea what to call.. A hip-thigh compression/sling wrap suffices I suppose. So to say things looked interesting for us right from the start is an understatement. Ton U had 14 guys so not a long bench for them either.

Kickoff came and from my perspective on the sideline for first half the game was played very slow, but on a pitch harder than the parking lot, almost no grass left, and the size of my backyard (which isn't big)... This led to ALOT of sloppy play as the also over-inflated ball constantly bounced or accelerated out-of-bounds off any pass less than perfect.. We almost scored on ourselves about a minute in, otherwise TU had one good looking chance the rest of first half. I stopped trying to count how many times both teams lost the ball out of bounds or the GK punted to each other by about the 10th minute. Pretty much first half was 45 minutes of the same thing. We possessed somewhere into TU half, screwed up possession with a bad first touch or pass on the impossibly terrible field, TU would boot it up field to the 2-3 guys holding high, we win ball back for the most part very easily. Rinse and Repeat.

Halftime 0-0 and we were not happy with ourselves at all, but kept spirits up. Second half started and I thought I saw a spark, but that lasted all of about 3 minutes before the game seemed to settle into the exact same pattern. Early in the half Lafko got caught with an accidental punch to the face and had to exit streaming blood from his possibly broken big beak, cue my entry about 55'. The guys who had gone 60', some injured, were starting to tire a little by this point and game continued to mostly go through us possessing into the attacking third and either losing the ball ourselves or shooting into the GK wickets. TU nearly got us once off a counter but took a poor shot wide.

End of 90 came 0-0. Similar to half we were frustrated but could see TU was very tired and playing more and more kick it and pray type style with 7 or 8 guys dragging behind. We took advantage first 5-7 minutes of ET possessing about 90% and getting 2-3 very good looks that either just missed or was saved by the aggressive GK. Really nothing else stands out until about 3 minutes left game really opened up, Fisher made 80 yard run to space down the right side around 118' that he eventually lost to a double team in their deep right corner. They did the usual long clearance, beast man Lafko still playing with the busted beak muscled a guy off and corralled it, beat a couple guys up sideline before centering it. Ball found its way out to Cruz on the sideline, Cruz beat 1 man, whipped in a very nice cross to the penalty spot where Mammoliti met it and crushed a gorgeous driven header to the upper 90 near post corner. Second it left his forehead everyone knew it was in. In hindsight it was very similar to Dempsey's goal last night, Ricky's was a little more impressive for difficulty! Ref said 1 minute left, then we played for another 3-4 minutes for whatever reason. TU came close in the final seconds as the AR decided 3 yards offsides isn't enough to call it (super inconsistent on Offsides calls all game, of which we had about 25 called against us to their 2 or 3), allowing their OM Will something to get a look on net but our miracle working German soccer father Tommy Schwaab came out of no where to clean the ball (and him) out just as he went to shoot. We regained possession, and ran clock out with a run to the corner by Fisher. As final whistle blew I looked around and there was 2 TU guys and a Quake guy down on the ground with cramps, it was that kind of evening!

Good effort to TU, for some reason are games are always sh*tshows. Good luck to them rest of the season I would be shocked to not see them in the top 3 or 4 at least in D2. Next up, a real test against the top of table championship side Southtowns FPFC. We are looking forward to the challenge!

spfallon9432
College
College

Number of posts : 70
Team : FC Quake
Full Name : Sean Fallon
Registration date : 2014-05-09

Back to top Go down

FC QUAKE 1 Tonawanda United 0 (ET) Empty Re: FC QUAKE 1 Tonawanda United 0 (ET)

Post  spfallon9432 Fri Jun 17, 2016 12:55 pm

FYI to all, had no idea Eaton already posted! Cheers to 2 chances to read up on our very boring match for all you Forum diehards!

spfallon9432
College
College

Number of posts : 70
Team : FC Quake
Full Name : Sean Fallon
Registration date : 2014-05-09

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum