Go down


Post  spfallon9432 on Fri Jun 02, 2017 8:50 am

Tough one to write about but want to put this one into perspective as it was a really interesting game to recount last night and this morning. Hopefully Mike or someone else from Roos chimes in as well.

So the unfortunate part to this is this game was set to take place last Thursday at Parkers but record rainfall in the hours leading up to kickoff made for some puddles even on a field that drains incredibly well. We still wanted to play but the referee seemed as though he had no desire to be there and immediately wanted it cancelled. We had our strongest lineup of the season in attendance while unfortunately Roos were missing their GK, Reid and couple others. Considering how last night went, in hindsight I'm even more frustrated with that game not going off now regardless of field. Fast forward to yesterday, I kept losing guys all week and by gameday was down to 13, with one of those guys extremely sick and one or two others playing with some medical issues, while Roos were very close to their best I think 16 guys?

So we got off and running last night under the D'youville turf lights at 830pm with lineups as mentioned earlier. I felt pretty familiar with how Roos would try to attack us and they have proven to be very capable with 4 and 6 goals against Premier sides in their 1st 2 matches. We knew they had quality wings, and good target men up top. They certainly had the better quality of play in the final 3rd in first half. Couple of nicely placed through balls gave Roos 2-3 good chances, one off the crossbar and two that Eaton stoned a guy on at least what I would consider half-breakaways. Slybyk (spelled wrong?) was strong as well with a neat snag of a laser off Iwankow's foot from inside the 18 pretty early on that a smaller/lower quality GK doesn't get, but that's why we have Eaton and they have him. Both are great GKs and showed it last night. Half dwindled down with general run of play being 60-40 Roos but still felt promising overall for us once we got the fortunate ball off the crossbar and one of Eaton's great saves found post instead of trickling in.

Halftime came and we felt we could be much better at playing our game we prepared to play all Winter in 11v11 and press them into mistakes. I thought first 15-20 mins of 2nd half was far and away our best form so far this BDSL campaign. Our backline had their through balls/trailing CM's snuffed out and Kerr and Tarr were suffocating anything they tried to bring forward through the middle. I think Roos may of had one go at net from far out that sailed well over in that timeframe. FCQ was probing into the final 3rd consistently but as has been our theme so far this season, our final touch/last pass/lack of trigger pulling from the 18 area killed us. Out of 5-6 great buildups I think we only truly threatened Slybyk twice and had one other 40-yard bomb from Tarr very nearly catch him off his line, but he managed to punch off the edge of the crossbar and out for a corner. Around the 20-25 minute range I saw and felt things shifting back towards Roos favor, and after post-game conversations with the guys its very evident it was our legs tiring that doomed us. Possession advantage flipped back and Roos began testing our backline again with floaters down the sideline that our CD's were forced to chase down Reid and Co. to snuff out. On a counter attack around the 75' mark is where the breakthrough came. Cant remember who had the run for Roos but another good sideline ball sprung someone and drew one of our CD out of the Area, the trailers we were very aware of all match both got in front of our tiring CMs and used this advantage against our 1 remaining CD to get a clean look from just inside the 18, dead center on goal, and made no mistake to place a perfectly weighted shot into the lower corner past Eaton's outstretched glove. 1-0 Roos 75' about.

With about half of our lineups calves or hamstrings starting to go on us, the final 15 mins turned into the sloppiest stretch of play with us desperately trying to create some chances and consistently getting countered by Roos. We did well to fend off any great chances to ice the match with Eaton also coming up with one more big-time save, but failed to generate anything that tested Slybyk even off of several deep throws and two corner kicks. Final whistle came with 2 or 3 Quake players on the ground with cramps and a spirited Roos 1-0 triumph.

Honestly thought this was a very well played match overall, with both teams leaving feeling should of saw a couple goals more on either side of the final line. We felt really strongly that a couple more of our quality players in attendance could of swung this thing in our favor last night, but certainly take nothing away from Roos who as I already mentioned played great and out chanced us by a couple. Game was very clean, well-officiated by Kramer, and a pleasure to be a part of. Good luck to the Roos next round and rest of their Premier campaign. We now shift all focus to climbing the Championship table and start that journey against our young rivals and seemingly unanimously-picked Championship-favorite Willies at 2pm Sunday.


Number of posts : 70
Team : FC Quake
Full Name : Sean Fallon
Registration date : 2014-05-09

Back to top Go down

Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum