BUSS 2 - SOHO FC 1

View previous topic View next topic Go down

BUSS 2 - SOHO FC 1

Post  B_Calvaneso on Mon Jun 19, 2017 11:08 am

With all the cancellations through out the course of the day, most of us figured a cancellation was inevitable. Before I left my house for the game, a quick twitter check told me that the game before us, BSC Raiders vs EAFC (I think) was stopped for weather, then cancelled. So things weren't looking good. My travel through Town of Tonawanda, Kenmore, then ultimately Buffalo brought thunder, lightning, rain, and sunshine. Things were still up in the air when I arrived to Nichols at 5:20ish. After a quick conversation with the manager(?) of Tri-towns, I started to think that we may actually get this game under way. Prince Saysay sent out a group text that he called God and told him to hold off the thunder and lightning till 8PM (more on that later). I don't know if he was joking, or if he has a direct link with him, but that's a cool friendship to have if you believe in that kind of stuff.

Before getting in to my recap of game play I'm going to give my readers my idea of what a referee should do during a soccer game, each of which weren't part of our referee's skill set.
1. Make your own calls
2. Know the difference between a foul, a yellow card offense, and a red card offense
3. Be able to keep the game under control (even partially)
4. Have some pride in your job
5. Be able to tell a player who gets in your face to back off

With that being said, here goes:

The game kicked off around 6:10 after both teams had guys showing up late due to weather concerns, not knowing if the game would play or not. We had 15 with one showing up a few minutes in, and SOHO had 14 I believe (3 subs).

Within the first 5 minutes of the game we had our first yellow card. From my slanted viewpoint it was well deserved as Larracuente took a cheap shot at Parker's leg after a physical play from Parker. After some pushing and shoving things got settled down a bit and the yellow was shown. We proceeded to have a total of 4 more yellow cards shown in the first 12 minutes of the game. If I had my Iphone emojis available I would insert the one with a puzzled look on his face. I can't seem to find the right one on the Emoticons list to my right. Probably 2 of those were deserved. The other two were questionable at best.

Around 20 minutes into the first half, we started to generate some pressure. Hunter Sherman was able to out muscle a defender and get onto a lob into the box. His shot hit the crossbar and came back to him. Somehow he got the ball over to Musse on the right side of the 18, around 12 yards in. Musse faked a right footed shot and cut to his left and put a shot on the floor, side panel, past Ski to his right.

1-0 Guys who don't belittle the referee

Not even 5 minutes later a Soho player was able to make something out of a harmless chance when he got position on Polo inside the box. Here is something that bothers me about BDSL refs. They don't look at their linesmen. And the linesmen don't speak up when they see something wrong. Polo was beaten to the endline but stepped in front of the ball as the Soho player tried to cross it, getting his foot on the ball and knocking it out of play. The Soho player went down (I'd give the dive a 6/10 personally) , the Soho players started yelling for a PK, and the referee pointed to the penalty spot. The linesman, who had a clear view of the play pointed for a corner kick. The head ref did not even look his way, and the kid on the sidelines didn't call the ref over. Anyways, Drew guessed the right way but Tiedt's stutter step threw him off balance and Drew wasn't able to get his fingers to it.

1-1

I think by the time the whistle blew for half time 6 yellow cards had been given. Multiple swear words were thrown at the referee including a few pretty nasty ones....but no red cards. We all agreed on the sidelines that we were playing like absolute dog poop and we needed to get back to possessing the ball. We made a slight formation change at half time to give us more space.

A lot of back and forth (yellows and possession/chances) and sloppy play from both teams made the second half drag on. We couldn't connect with more than 2 passes in a row. Our first and second touches made us lose possession and our through balls were just out of reach for our forwards and mids.

With about 15 minutes left in the game Ski starts screaming after picking up the ball out of bounds. He yells to the referee "This is a f*cking size 4". Mind you, the game was 1-1 at this point. He boots the ball over to our side line. I'm not sure if he was trying to waste time, or if he really thought the ball was not regulation size. Also, they were the home team, and both of their game balls were nowhere to be found. So we grabbed one of ours, that George Tor's little son (Happy Fathers Day George) was playing with and threw it in. Back to the recap, Ski booted that ball over to our sidelines. We looked at the ball and it clearly said Size 5 on it. We gave it back to the linesman who, after a brief look at the ball, seemed to gain a bit of confidence and gave it to the head ref and had him take a look. Then he told Ski to get back in goal so the game could go on. Ski responded to the linesman with "F@ck you". The linesman called over the referee and a yellow was issued to Ski.

Anyways a few minutes later Mo Hussein received the size 5 soccer ball around mid field, turned and dribbled a few yards between defenders. He laid the ball off to Hunter Walsh on the right, who was wide towards the bench sidelines. He took a touch and pushed it past the sliding Soho defender. He took the ball in towards the box and send a perfect cross through the box to Kyle Clifford who was crashing back post. Kyle got a nice piece of the ball and put it past Ski to take the lead.

2-1 Good Guys.

Soho seemed content with sending long balls for the rest of the game that our defenders gobbled up and got rid of. That's how the game ended. I would say we probably had the better of possession, but honestly, the game was so slowed down with fouls and arguements that it was a pretty poor game overall. If the weather was nicer, any fans who showed up would have asked for a refund.

Sure enough, Prince's phone call to God worked wonders cause 5 minutes after the game ended the rain started coming down again.

Good game to Soho. It's unfortunate that the head ref ruined the game. I think that both teams would agree that the refereeing was very poor at best. It's always a battle when we play those guys. It's a shame that they are not getting the results they hoped for this season.

Player of the game goes to Hunter Walsh. He was a pest all game to Soho, earning free kicks in dangerous areas, and got the assist on the game winning goal.

Up next the BUSS keeps rolling (see what I did there) when we play Roos FC in the Tehel Cup tournament this Thursday night at D'Youville under the lights at 8:30pm. Then we have FC Yemen on Sunday. Hopefully we get some solid weather for those two, but seeing as how the BDSL season has gone so far I wouldn't expect it.

B_Calvaneso
College
College

Number of posts : 63
Team : BUSS
Full Name : Bobby Calvaneso
Registration date : 2013-04-17

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: BUSS 2 - SOHO FC 1

Post  Ski on Tue Jun 20, 2017 11:21 pm

One correction: I was talking to the bench and said "shut up."

Ski
MLS
MLS

Number of posts : 162
Team : Celtic
Full Name : Bryan Staniszewski
Registration date : 2008-05-14

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  B_Calvaneso on Thu Jun 22, 2017 8:12 am

Sorry Ski, but with all due respect, it was definitely "F@ck you". I was sitting right there about 10 feet away.

B_Calvaneso
College
College

Number of posts : 63
Team : BUSS
Full Name : Bobby Calvaneso
Registration date : 2013-04-17

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content