Buffalo & District Soccer League
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

And So It Begins--First Forum Post Of The Year--Question About Relegation/Promotion

2 posters

Go down

And So It Begins--First Forum Post Of The Year--Question About Relegation/Promotion Empty And So It Begins--First Forum Post Of The Year--Question About Relegation/Promotion

Post  Matt Marcin...z Sun Mar 18, 2018 12:38 pm

I was just looking at the schedules, and I noticed that 4 teams were elevated from 1st division to Championship this year. Which makes sense at first, given that 3 2017 Championship teams were promoted to Premier and that Panthers folded/merged/rebranded/whatever. But in reality, in cases like this where more than two teams need to be replaced, wouldn't it just make more sense to not relegate the previous season's second-last and last-place finishers? I mean, OP Alliance and Quake didn't have terrible seasons last year, yet they're demoted and 4 teams are up. Same could've applied for Premier--Roos could've stayed up rather than having the Willies promoted in addition to the two automatic qualifiers. Ultimately, it doesn't really matter, but I guess I'd like to know if two teams must be relegated regardless of divisional vacancies or if it's determined case-by-case...which is pretty arbitrary if so. Preliminary power rankings notwithstanding (which seem to suggest that the consensus is that we're suddenly terrible), there's not a whole lot separating the Pendletons/Polonias/NMBs/West Sides/Quakes/Alliances of the world (assuming full strength 2017 rosters). I thought I remembered teams not getting relegated in the past in situations like this, but I can't think of any examples offhand

Matt Marcin...z
EPL
EPL

Number of posts : 309
Team : Polonia
Full Name : Matt Marcinkiewicz
Registration date : 2013-06-28

Back to top Go down

And So It Begins--First Forum Post Of The Year--Question About Relegation/Promotion Empty Re: And So It Begins--First Forum Post Of The Year--Question About Relegation/Promotion

Post  Michael Schieber Tue Mar 20, 2018 4:56 pm

The board has, for the past few years now, stuck with the promotion and relegation teams as best we can across the board. We are "saving" fewer teams as we feel the talent gap has as you pointed out even here somewhat narrowed. If we believe there to be not to much difference we'd prefer to give new teams a shot at a higher division rather then send another team back for a seemingly rough year again. 

This is different then say late 2000's league formatting but this is how we currently believe we should look at these cases. General rule has been regular season champ if they didn't make final has best chance. then we look at other semifinalists. Then remaining playoffs teams/relegation teams. 

Also Polonia is ranked low for me do to recent league history and knowing you lost David Mack, your leading scorer last year this coming season. I have no idea who you added thus the way too early to take serious part.
Michael Schieber
Michael Schieber
EPL
EPL

Number of posts : 435
Team : Roos F.C.
Full Name : Michael Schieber
Registration date : 2008-06-06

Back to top Go down

And So It Begins--First Forum Post Of The Year--Question About Relegation/Promotion Empty Re: And So It Begins--First Forum Post Of The Year--Question About Relegation/Promotion

Post  Matt Marcin...z Tue Mar 20, 2018 6:24 pm

Cool, sounds fair to me.  Yeah, you guys (ie the board) would've known we lost Dave before I did, as I just heard at our game this past Thursday.  I was almost positive I saw him at the February league meeting, but I thought it was possible I was seeing a doppelganger through a Ukrainian beer haze or that he was just there to observe the meeting.  I should've known then, haha.

Matt Marcin...z
EPL
EPL

Number of posts : 309
Team : Polonia
Full Name : Matt Marcinkiewicz
Registration date : 2013-06-28

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down