Buffalo & District Soccer League
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Div. 1 v. Premier

+9
jemarion
P. Shoppa
kingceltic
CoachTRK
Ski
bbartosik
Michael Schieber
DrewMaloney
LFC#7
13 posters

Go down

Div. 1 v. Premier Empty Div. 1 v. Premier

Post  LFC#7 Mon Jun 22, 2009 4:19 pm

Are we really supposed to believe that it was pure luck that the Final 8 draw matched up Premier v. Div. 1 in every game?
Don't know if anyone else cares (actually I don't really think I do), I'm just bored at work and noticed it.

LFC#7
JV
JV

Number of posts : 16
Team : Lakeside FC
Full Name : Pete Marlette
Registration date : 2009-06-18

Back to top Go down

Div. 1 v. Premier Empty Re: Div. 1 v. Premier

Post  DrewMaloney Mon Jun 22, 2009 4:33 pm

Yeah, I know the board didn't wanna see any D1 teams do well in Tehel Cup. Ratings would be way higher if all the premier teams make the final 4...... Rolling Eyes
DrewMaloney
DrewMaloney
EPL
EPL

Number of posts : 407
Team : Boomslang FC
Full Name : Drew Maloney
Registration date : 2008-06-05

Back to top Go down

Post  Michael Schieber Mon Jun 22, 2009 9:40 pm

Pete i agree with about the oddity with this.

all i can say is that it would be cool if all the premier teams were knocked out by d1 teams. that would be something special.
Michael Schieber
Michael Schieber
EPL
EPL

Number of posts : 435
Team : Roos F.C.
Full Name : Michael Schieber
Registration date : 2008-06-06

Back to top Go down

Post  bbartosik Tue Jun 23, 2009 10:15 am

Lakeside and Empire 90 have the best chance at winning from division 1. From what I've heard, Empire 90 could be a premier team. Good luck to both.
bbartosik
bbartosik
EPL
EPL

Number of posts : 265
Team : Roos FC
Full Name : Brian Bartosik
Registration date : 2008-06-09

Back to top Go down

Post  Ski Tue Jun 23, 2009 12:32 pm

I know it looks like it was fixed, but it was a long shot that John Kramer, Andy Evenhouse, Andy Adelman, the waitress from Jake's Place, and a few Celtic players blindly drew these matches. The Roos are still high from their one and only win of the year. If the Roos were still in it, they would be the cinderella story anyway, 10 million to 1 longshot at best. And if we wanted to fix it, some how the Roos would still be playing for the Cup. We all noticed it when the draw was over.

I do agree with the Lakeside making it through, but E90 has a huge game against the Raiders. This is who I think will make it through to the semi finals: Celtic, Blackwatch (if they field a full squad), Lakeside, and it is coin toss with Raiders and E90. If the Raiders show up with the squad and play the way they did against the 2 Celtic teams, then I go with them. If not, E90 goes through. Regardless, it will be a close game. I am thinking a one goal win by either team. If Kevin O'Neil and Tommy Garrigan suit up, all bets are off. E90 goes through.
Ski
Ski
MLS
MLS

Number of posts : 162
Team : Celtic
Full Name : Bryan Staniszewski
Registration date : 2008-05-14

Back to top Go down

Post  CoachTRK Tue Jun 23, 2009 2:09 pm

If Kevin O'Neil and Tommy Garrigan suit up, all bets are off. E90 goes through.

Ski - Good stuff....

CoachTRK
MLS
MLS

Number of posts : 123
Team : Oranje`
Full Name : Tim Kronenwetter
Registration date : 2008-07-04

Back to top Go down

Post  kingceltic Tue Jun 23, 2009 9:44 pm

They only have two good ankles between them, and they are both on garigen. I don't think Kevin has played a game since we won the last men's international tournament at sportsplex about 8 years ago.
kingceltic
kingceltic
Varsity
Varsity

Number of posts : 46
Full Name : Frank Butcher
Registration date : 2008-06-29

Back to top Go down

Post  P. Shoppa Tue Jun 23, 2009 10:34 pm

Maybe next year we can draw all the games at the beginning and make a bracket like the NCAA. Everybody fills out a bracket for 5 bucks each, and whoever has the best bracket wins half the pot. Other half obviously going toward the BDSL bank account. Just a thought.
P. Shoppa
P. Shoppa
College
College

Number of posts : 89
Team : Roos
Full Name : Paul Schiappa
Registration date : 2008-06-16

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Wed Jun 24, 2009 9:31 am

Account Deleted

Last edited by Charlie Barth on Wed May 14, 2014 11:04 am; edited 1 time in total

Back to top Go down

Post  Michael Schieber Wed Jun 24, 2009 9:54 am

the only problem with your bracket charlie is the roos blackwatch game. The roos best chance to advance would be if blackwatch, upon seeing they were playing the roos now, allowed a D2 (i'm not calling it D1 B thats just dumb they are D2 and D2 is really called "Fun Time Soccer Game" League) team to play in their stead. BCFC's Nick Mendola blackmails Jack with airing out Donner's dirty laundry on WGR so it's now BCFC v Roos. Roos are furious that they actually have to travel to play a game instead of playing at Orchard Park. only 9 roos find there way to the game, roo's lose 4-2. After wards they go to slick willy's sports bar to drown out the loss.

Actual predictions:
Celtic
Blackwatch
E 90 (high scoring affair maybe 6-5)
Lakeside (based on the fact that they are missing players with the auroa incident)
Michael Schieber
Michael Schieber
EPL
EPL

Back to top Go down

Post  jemarion Wed Jun 24, 2009 11:34 am

FYI, as one of the inventors of the current format, we had a reason for doing what we did.

For most of the 1990's, the Tehel Cup was, for all intents and purposes, held by Premier Division teams and For Premier Division teams. Occasionally and upstart team would get in (the original incarnations of Roos and Distirct V Dynamo come to mind). there were years when as few as 6 teams participated, and the format changed from year to year.

The board did not feel that the Cup was really representing the league as a whole. The league was running about 32-38 teams at the time, and that makes a majority of teams who did not have any interest in the Cup.

As a side note, the Tehel Cup itself is the oldest amateur cup trophy in the United States. A portion of the trophy is in the US Soccer Hall of Fame in Oneonta. The Cup, as well as much of the history of the BDSL, was not really guarded very well.

In the late 1990's, the board (spearheaded by Glyn Wood, John Wall, and me), took the position that the Tehel Cup is for everybody in the league, and all teams should be encouraged to participate. We debated between going with an FA Cup model (which is blind draw) or a Champions League model. We thought, originally, that teams from the First and Second Divisions would get in if they were going to get value for money (i.e. not pay 125 bucks to get knocked out by a Prem team). So, we originally went with a group stage, and then to a knockout phase.

That didn't work. So, we decided to change it to mandatory entry and an FA Cup model. We felt that it would be good for the league if teams played other teams they normally would not see during league play. Certainly, any D1 or D2 team making a run will believe that they can pull off an upset (any manager who says otherwise is a liar). Originally, Second Division teams only played in the first round. The point was (and still is) to make the Cup for everyone.

A Cup competition in any professional soccer league is not formatted to favor the top seeds. Every team, no matter how big or small, has the same opportunity to compete in and win the Cup, which is the whole point of having a cup competition in the first place.

So, seeding defeats the whole purpose. Might as well go back to the closed shop of the 1990's.

jemarion
Varsity
Varsity

Number of posts : 36
Team : Celtic Classic
Registration date : 2008-06-10

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Wed Jun 24, 2009 11:54 am

Account Deleted

Last edited by Charlie Barth on Wed May 14, 2014 11:04 am; edited 1 time in total

Back to top Go down

Post  slabyk Wed Jun 24, 2009 12:19 pm

Charlie Barth wrote:I love the bracket idea. As for quarterfinal predictions:

Lakeside vs Azzuri: Kramer ref's game. Lakeside captain Pete Marlette is given a red just for showing up. During the course of the game, Lakeside receives 17 more yellows and has 6 goals called back. Azzuri is awarded 4 pk's and only converts on 3. Lakeside moves on with a score of 4-3.

hahahahahaha
slabyk
slabyk
College
College

Number of posts : 58
Team : Roos FC
Full Name : Greg Slabyk
Registration date : 2008-06-09

Back to top Go down

Post  Garrett Sengbusch Wed Jun 24, 2009 1:30 pm

With all this talk about the actual cup itself, I am reminded that nobody from Celtic has seen the cup since we drank out of it last summer. This is due to Ski's laziness and incompetence. I am glad to see a picture of it every time Ski places a post on the forum though. I feel each member of the winning squad should get at least a week with the cup. We can make it like the Stanley Cup. Each player can do what they wish with it. Maybe wear it with sweet gold chain, fill it with jelly beans for Easter, wash your balls in it, whatever feels natural. If Jack ever wins the cup he said he would fill it with Corona and ice because it is like his prune juice. And he should be able to do so if he wants too.

Last edited by Garrett Sengbusch on Wed Jun 24, 2009 2:41 pm; edited 1 time in total

Garrett Sengbusch
JV
JV

Number of posts : 16
Full Name : Garrett Sengbusch
Registration date : 2009-05-13

Back to top Go down

Post  Michael Schieber Wed Jun 24, 2009 2:02 pm

^^^^^^ Love it^^^^^^
Michael Schieber
Michael Schieber
EPL
EPL

Back to top Go down

Post  Ski Wed Jun 24, 2009 2:22 pm

If memory serves me correctly, you never saw the league trophy when we won it either. It has nothing to do with incompetence, it is everything to do with being lazy. I do remember asking everyone if they wanted to take it last year, but no one wanted to be responsible enough to take it and get it engraved.
Ski
Ski
MLS
MLS

Number of posts : 162
Full Name : Bryan Staniszewski
Registration date : 2008-05-14

Back to top Go down

Div. 1 v. Premier Empty Raiders vs Empire 90

Post  copafutbol Thu Jun 25, 2009 10:16 pm

I just dont see Empire 90 competing with the Raiders. Men vs boys.... But we will see. Wish I was going to be there. Waddington

copafutbol
JV
JV

Number of posts : 3
Team : Raiders
Full Name : Matthew Waddington
Registration date : 2009-06-25

Back to top Go down

Post  B-Lo Fri Jul 03, 2009 12:47 am

jemarion wrote:FYI, as one of the inventors of the current format, we had a reason for doing what we did.

For most of the 1990's, the Tehel Cup was, for all intents and purposes, held by Premier Division teams and For Premier Division teams. Occasionally and upstart team would get in (the original incarnations of Roos and Distirct V Dynamo come to mind). there were years when as few as 6 teams participated, and the format changed from year to year.

The board did not feel that the Cup was really representing the league as a whole. The league was running about 32-38 teams at the time, and that makes a majority of teams who did not have any interest in the Cup.

As a side note, the Tehel Cup itself is the oldest amateur cup trophy in the United States. A portion of the trophy is in the US Soccer Hall of Fame in Oneonta. The Cup, as well as much of the history of the BDSL, was not really guarded very well.

In the late 1990's, the board (spearheaded by Glyn Wood, John Wall, and me), took the position that the Tehel Cup is for everybody in the league, and all teams should be encouraged to participate. We debated between going with an FA Cup model (which is blind draw) or a Champions League model. We thought, originally, that teams from the First and Second Divisions would get in if they were going to get value for money (i.e. not pay 125 bucks to get knocked out by a Prem team). So, we originally went with a group stage, and then to a knockout phase.

That didn't work. So, we decided to change it to mandatory entry and an FA Cup model. We felt that it would be good for the league if teams played other teams they normally would not see during league play. Certainly, any D1 or D2 team making a run will believe that they can pull off an upset (any manager who says otherwise is a liar). Originally, Second Division teams only played in the first round. The point was (and still is) to make the Cup for everyone.

A Cup competition in any professional soccer league is not formatted to favor the top seeds. Every team, no matter how big or small, has the same opportunity to compete in and win the Cup, which is the whole point of having a cup competition in the first place.

So, seeding defeats the whole purpose. Might as well go back to the closed shop of the 1990's.

Thanks for the props Jeff ...Not! I ran the Tehel Cup for several years in the mid-late 90's. World Cup format. All teams were seeded based on division and order of finish from the previous years. Most groups would have a team from each division. Teams were guaranteed 2 games before single elimination rounds would begin. Participation was open to all teams willing to simply pay the $100.00 fee.
B-Lo
B-Lo
College
College

Number of posts : 70
Full Name : Brian LoPresto

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content