Buffalo & District Soccer League
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Tehel Cup Predictions - Round of 8

3 posters

Go down

Tehel Cup Predictions - Round of 8 Empty Tehel Cup Predictions - Round of 8

Post  Raider9726 Mon Jul 14, 2014 2:38 pm

Here's the Inventory of what we have left: 5 Premier squads, 2 Championship sides and 1 First division unit.  By the end of this round, there can be a maximum of 3 premier teams remaining, a max of 2 championship teams and of course 1 first division team.

Let's take a look at each of the four remaining games and do some predicting why don't we. I'm also guessing the locations of these games.

Lakeshore Select vs. Yemen Elite 7/17/14 6:30 pm, West Seneca Soccer Complex
Overall records: Lakeshore Select 8-2-0 (Champ), Yemen Elite 5-4-2 (Prem)

This is rather intriguing.  First, I saw Lakeshore play Roos in person last week and came away thinking they've improved a bit since the beginning of the season.  They've got some depth and skill out there, although still a bit vulnerable in the back.  With Elite coming to the pitch, you cannot be vulnerable in the back.  Elite now have Alex Pollak and James Ugorji back, so they've bolstered themsevles in terms of speed, finishing and overall depth.  Elite has nothing to play for anymore in the regular season, considering they've been eliminated from playoff contention as well as securing their safety from relegation.  So their season is now the Cup.  Lakeshore meanwhile is still fighting for one of the last remaining playoff spots in the Championship division, although it's looking more and more likely that they'll be part of the dance one way or another.  I think Lakeshore keeps this admirably close for awhile, but Yemen Elite pulls away with a 3-1 victory.

Buffalo United SS vs. Lazio 7/22/14 6:30 pm, West Seneca Soccer complex:
Overall records: Lazio 7-2-2 (Prem), BUSS 6-2-2 (Prem)

Lazio defeated BUSS in regular season play at this very complex on 5/18/14.  Both teams are enjoying success thus far in the regular season as well (Lazio 5-2-2, BUSS 4-2-2).  I'm sure this game will be just as thrilling as their first meeting, assuming both teams come with more than 11 guys.  What's interesting is that whoever wins this Tehel Cup tilt has a really solid shot at the Cup Final, yet due to fixture congestion, could see their treble hopes slip away in favor of the losing team of this match, who will only have Premier playoffs on the mind.  I expect almost an exact repeat of what happened two months ago.  Lazio 2, BUSS 1, although it takes extra time to obtain this result.

Celtic vs. Lakeside FC 7/24/14 6:30pm, Nichols School
Overall records: Celtic 8-1-1 (Prem), Lakeside FC 2-7-1 (Prem)

Lakeside FC is all but done in Premier, basically needing at minimum 7 points over their final 3 games and that's assuming Azzurri loses out.  They'll be playing in the Championship division next year, so hopefully they at least stay true to recent Cup success and make this one a game.  Standing in their way however is Celtic, who aren't enjoying their normal dominance in Premier thus far.  Saying that sounds sickening; they're 6-1-1 in the regular season with a goal diff of +16, but the issue is that another 4-5 teams are vying to take their yearly playoff spot away from them.  I guess it depends on how bad Celtic wants the cup this year.  Are they going to save up their energy for Sunday afternoons only, or are some of these guys looking forward to playing 2 nights per week?  Either way, I think Celtic's quality trumps whatever is going on in Lakeside camp, whether they really want the cup or not.  A mild 2-0 victory is what I'm expecting from Celtic.  

FC Yemen vs. Queenston FC 7/24/14 6:30pm, Field down the street from Lehigh "The Cage"
Overall records: FC Yemen 11-1-0 (1st), Queenston FC 7-0-4 (Champ)

At least as I expected, FC Yemen would be the team opposite of my own at this point in the tournament, coming out of the bracket that perhaps is rightly labeled the weakest.  That shouldn't translate to "FC Yemen or Queenston FC is lucky to be in this position" though.  Two teams with enough quality are here because they've got solid squads enjoying successful seasons.  And it's too naive and simple to say if either team were in another bracket, they wouldn't be here.  If either team were in the Lakeshore Select or Lakeside FC pod, is it a stretch to say they'd possibly take their place?  Didn't think so.  Yemen comes in to this game having removed a premier and championship side from the tournament, one rather easily, and one over the course of maybe 150 minutes played that we probably don't need to ever talk about again.  They also lead the entire BDSL with 45 goals scored (they do not lead in goals per game, that little nugget would belong to Buffalo Bantu).  Meanwhile, Queenston has beaten up on divisional foes on route to not yet conceding a goal.  What we have here is offense vs. defense, and defense wins championships, so I see Queenston going into Lackawanna and escaping with a narrow 2-1 victory.

In other words, I'm expecting a Lazio vs Yemen Elite semi final and a Celtic vs Queenston semi final.  Good luck to all remaining teams, except FC Yemen and then I take back the good luck to either Celtic/Lakeside FC if we advance.

Last edited by Raider9726 on Wed Jul 23, 2014 1:30 pm; edited 1 time in total
Raider9726
Raider9726
EPL
EPL

Number of posts : 241
Team : Queenston
Full Name : Queenston Statistician
Registration date : 2012-07-23

Back to top Go down

Tehel Cup Predictions - Round of 8 Empty Re: Tehel Cup Predictions - Round of 8

Post  highrollerk3 Wed Jul 23, 2014 11:08 am

I love these predictions. I re-read them every morning (quite sad but true) You and Michael are doing a great job at keeping this forum interesting, since Drew and I have retired for the season. Keep up this good work. Good luck on Thursday.
highrollerk3
highrollerk3
MLS
MLS

Number of posts : 112
Team : Buffalo United Soccer Stars
Full Name : Kevin Mckenzie
Registration date : 2013-01-31

Back to top Go down

Post  Raider9726 Wed Jul 23, 2014 4:36 pm

I completely blew it with the prediction of your game vs. Lazio last night, Kevin.  From what I saw in the first 30 minutes of the second half, Lazio didn't seem to touch the ball all that much, and I know they have some quality players out there, so seeing that happen was eye opening to how well you guys were playing.  I have you as favorites over Yemen Elite (don't hate me for this Faress), but expect a good game next week.

Appreciate the luck you're sending out way vs. FC Yemen.  I think FC Yemen should have been in the Championship division this year honestly, so this game will be no different than any other one we've been playing all year, meaning it should be relatively close.
Raider9726
Raider9726
EPL
EPL

Number of posts : 241
Team : Queenston
Full Name : Queenston Statistician
Registration date : 2012-07-23

Back to top Go down

Post  highrollerk3 Wed Jul 23, 2014 4:55 pm

No problem. Its a predicition. Honestly I am impressed that you guys are so involved. The forum needed this. BUSS is definately in form this season, and we were definately coming for blood yesterday after losing to Lazio in our past three fixtures.

I think I will come out to see you guys play this Thursday. Yemen reminds me of my team , loads of natural talent, and this season may be just organizing that talent to work as a cohesive unit (Faress thats a compliment, don't look at me like that I will smack you) This will be an interesting game for sure!
highrollerk3
highrollerk3
MLS
MLS

Number of posts : 112
Team : Buffalo United Soccer Stars
Full Name : Kevin Mckenzie
Registration date : 2013-01-31

Back to top Go down

Post  nateg Wed Jul 23, 2014 11:53 pm

I'll give it to you guys, we showed up to apparently not even play. Maybe a tough game sunday vs celtic was to blame, maybe nobody cared too much but nonetheless you guys outplayed us for 90. We were missing a few key guys which probably wouldve made a big impact but oh well. Probably the worst outing by our team in the 3 years ive been on the team, which is definitely in part to how well you guys pressured the ball once you lost it. Had an offside goal taken away which was fairly questionable, and a PK call not given after you guys got one that was a good 3 yards outside the box anyway lol. Well done to BUSS yesterday.

nateg
Varsity
Varsity

Number of posts : 30
Team : Lazio
Full Name : Nathan Griffiths
Registration date : 2013-05-20

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down