Buffalo & District Soccer League
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Marksmen 1, Aftershock 4

2 posters

Go down

Marksmen 1, Aftershock 4 Empty Marksmen 1, Aftershock 4

Post  BHastings Fri May 06, 2016 10:02 am

Bear with me, I am new to this forum. I am Ben Hastings, and I am the goalkeeper/manager of the Youngstown Marksmen. On Thursday, we loaded up our cars for a family vacation 70 miles south for a play in game for the Tehel Cup against Aftershock.

Since I am playing I can't project times of goals but I can describe them. Both teams at kickoff had good numbers and subs. Within the first 5 minutes Aftershock got on the board after a long throw in bounced off of a defender to a wide open forward with an easy shot within 12 yards with traffic in front of me. Our defending was in shambles for the first 20 minutes, but as the game had progressed we got in the groove. We had a few solid chances before halftime but nothing to show for it.

Second half, I switched our formation to our original pregame plan of a 3-5-2. It seemed necessary with our lack of defenders and goals. We really got on the front foot in the first 15 minutes of the second half. Colin O'keefe darted around the defense, was on somewhat of a poor angle, smashed the ball far post and John Wright was able to bundle it in. Honestly once we scored I thought we could bag the win. However a few minutes later Aftershock cleared their lines and after multiple failed defensive attempts (I am being kind with my wording), their forward was able to pick up the ball within the 18 and knock it near post. That was the beginning of the end. A few minutes later their other attacker hit a bouncing ball first time and it looped over me into the far post. All credit for the goal, but it was a pretty fortunate shot. Then in the closing minutes our defender Jake Braun, who was stout most of the game, had his signature "I don't care" tackle and caused a penalty. I guessed right but #4 placed it off the post and in. Anywhere else that side I had it. Anyways that was his hat trick, and that was all she wrote. Good night Vienna.

Though we all know each other, it was our teams first real game together so I honestly had nothing to expect chemistry wise. I honestly have high hopes for our team still, we just needed acclamation to the league and ourselves. Thanks Aftershock for a good game, they were class guys and we had a good time. Thankfully we can focus solely on the league now. Best of luck to Aftershock on their Tehel Cup run. We may not be the best team, but our hooped kits are class.

BHastings
JV
JV

Number of posts : 13
Team : Youngstown Marksmen
Full Name : Ben Hastings
Registration date : 2016-05-06

Back to top Go down

Marksmen 1, Aftershock 4 Empty recap

Post  JWright Fri May 06, 2016 10:39 am

I think you mean John Wright took a low fizzed in cross and smashed it into the net.  Other than that pretty accurate.  

The Aftershock forward Patterson (had a trick) is a bowling ball with some spring in his step.  Taught some of the 18-19 yr old defenders what playing 3rd division BDSL is like.  It was a good first game for us and we will show much better as season progresses.  Best of luck to Aftershock next round.

JWright
JV
JV

Number of posts : 3
Team : Youngstown
Full Name : John Wright
Registration date : 2016-05-06

Back to top Go down